Wake Up The Gorge (WUTG)
2020 Event Cancelled
VCKC has made a decision to cancel the event as part of our response to supporting efforts for controlled encounter with the Covid-19 virus.
VCKC organized the first “Wake Up The Gorge” (WUTG) race in March 1999.These races were not limited to outrigger canoes: voyageur canoe sprints, recreational canoe racing and marathon canoe racing were also included. It was the Gorge Regatta come to life again. The first outrigger races had eight teams, most local. Marathon racers came from Wenatchee, Toronto, Calgary, Kamloops, Prince George, Nanaimo, Nanoose Bay, Comox and Victoria. Many sponsors helped attract good competitors.
The second WUTG race attracted 28 teams from Vancouver, Kamloops and Bellingham. It was extended to two days to include marathon and solo (OC1) outrigger races. Cooperation between the clubs meant that more boats and more rescue skiffs were available. OC1 races were added this year and the event extended through to Sunday for the smaller boat races.
Since then, WUTG has been a regular fixture on the CORA race calendar. It is usually held in April.
The event has seen over 50 teams taking part. The date is chosen each year so that there is high tide about mid-day so that all teams get roughly equal current assistance. This makes it unique among the races on the CORA schedule because the dates cannot be fixed on the same weekend every year.
Today, Wake Up The Gorge is the VCKC club's annual weekend of racing for OC6 Outrigger canoes and Small Boats.
It kicks off the racing season for many of the Victoria and area paddling clubs who use the Gorge for racing.
Objectives: To unite the Outrigger and Paddling community through Racing, Competition and Friendship.
Where: At the Victoria Canoe & Kayak Club, 355 Gorge Rd W, Victoria, BC V9A 1M9 (see map). We are located on the beautiful Gorge Waterway.
When: 2020, Saturday April 4, (OC6 Races) & Sunday April 5, (Small Boat Races)
Time: Clubhouse opens 8am, Races start 9am, (ends before 5pm)
Online registration for the OC 6 (Saturday) race will be closed as of midnight Tuesday March 31. Please contact the registrar after that: email@example.com
Registration for Small Boats remains open until race day, Sunday April 5.
Regular: $120 from Sunday, March 22 through Tuesday, March 31
Click Here to Register!
Waivers: All team members must sign the waiver form. Click here to review and print the required Waiver form: Adult and Junior Waivers. Completed waivers can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or handed to the WUTG registrar at the event. It helps to speed up the registration process if all team members have signed a waiver prior to race day.
1. Our insurance requires that all participants must be CORA members. Membership is available via the CORA website. An adult one-day pass is $15 and a junior one-day pass is $5. Please remember that these one-day passes are only valid for one specific event, which you must choose when you purchase the pass. An annual membership ($30 for adults and $10 for juniors) is valid for all races in the current year. If possible register with CORA in advance of the race. As a last resort, CORA membership can be paid on race day at VCKC. The Team/paddler must accept CORA Race Rules, Safety Standards and VCKC Code of Conduct.
2. Individuals may participate on only one team within a race type (i.e. one senior woman's team, one senior men's team). Exception: A paddler is allowed to be on a mixed team and a single-gender team within one race type; separate registrations are needed for this.
3. Teams must include a qualified steersperson who will attend a WUTG Safety Briefing.
4. All team members must have submitted a signed waiver in order to paddle.
5. Parking is limited: Please park only in designated areas. Please DO NOT park directly in front or behind the commercial establishments on the NW corner of Gorge and Tillicum.
6. Food will be available for purchase: home made chilli, soup, hot chocolate, coffee, tea, fruit, baked goods, ...
Saturday April 4, 2020 OC6 Races
OC6 races start at 9am.
Two heats of 1000 meters in two lanes around one buoy at 500 meters. Each team's time total will result in awards for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in the following 7 categories. (*Minimum of 3 teams per category):
Click Here to Register!
Sunday April 5, 2020 (Small Boat Races).
Click here to Register!
Click here to view the 2020 race schedule (when it's ready.)
Previous Years Race Results
|2019 OC6 RACE RESULTS||2019 SMALL BOAT RACE RESULTS|